Dance and performance training: Young Performers’
If you’re an emerging talent in dance, music and song, then why not explore it fully at Sydney’s leading dance training and performance art school? (You never know - you could end up on the stage of a musical like Siena Elchaar - a star of Annie: The Musical. Hear her review of Brent Street's dance training here and see some of the Brent Street students on stage and tv here.)
Designed to suit all levels and ages, our Young Performers’ Program offers dance training in everything from jazz, tap, contemporary, hip hop and ballet, to performance art training in singing, acting, acrobatics and musical theatre.
Led by the Lucas Newland, the Young Performers’ Program offers a wide range of classes that students can take after school, on weekends and in school holidays. No audition is needed and class tuition is up to a maximum of $18 a class. Find out more about our membership options or book into a free trial class.
World class performance and dance training teachers
Our drama course is led by Russell Smith - who also shares his top tips on how to break Into acting. Our singing course is led by Darren Mapes - who shares his top tips on how to build a singing career.
Head of Young Performers' Program: Lucas Newland
Dance training classes: What Young Performers cover
- Jazz - classes consist of commercial jazz incorporating a blend of technique, strength and style culminating in a polished performance piece choreographed by working professionals.
- Tap CSTD - The Commonwealth Society of Teachers of Dancing (CSTD) Examinations, is a prestigious international tap syllabus that gives aspiring tap dancers a strong technical foundation. The syllabus classes are an opportunity to learn complex rhythms, tap terminology and result in students being assessed in an exam environment. Tap classes incorporate many diverse styles within the tap genre blending together technique, rhythms and timing concluding in an intricate routine choreographed by experienced professionals.
- Ballet - RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) Classical ballet classes are offered for those who would like to test their skills through annual examinations from the RAD. Classes are offered from pre-primary (aged 5 & 6) through to Advanced 2 and Advanced Foundation levels. RAD trained teachers oversee the program and Brent Street students achieve excellent results.
In addition to or as an alternative to RAD, students can choose to attend classical technique ballet classes in their age group. One of the pre-requisites for attending classes on a Saturday in the Young Performers program is that one class in ballet per week, must be attended.
- Hip hop - classes are choreography based and are highly stylised to that of an international standard. Correct hip hop technique is taught within the choreography with a high emphasis on foundation grooves, movement and connection to the music. A variety of different movements and styles are incorporated into every piece of choreography.
- JFH - Jazz/Funk/HipHop - the most current of commercial dance styles, JFH combines the strength and power of jazz with the attitude and fun of Hip hop. Students will learn basic foundation jazz technique along with different hip hop styles in a fun and high energy environment.
- Acrobatics - a fun and challenging class. Learn to do tricks like cartwheels, byranis, walkovers and backflips!! Acrobatics also gives the more serious dancers a competitive edge against others in auditions. Anybody of any level can join as the classes are catered for individual students at different levels in a safe and fun environment.
- Contemporary - CSTD Brent Street is offering the most comprehensive and unique Contemporary Technique classes in all of all Australia. Headed exclusively by Jason Winters, one of only a few dancers to ever have performed in Mia Michaels Contemporary Dance Company RAW, and then as her assistant/associate choreographer on numerous global projects. Now through the prestigious CSTD (Commonwealth Society of Teachers Dancing) students at Brent Street can train from the Foundation Level - Level 5 of the Jason Winters Contemporary Technique.
Contemporary classes (non CSTD) Students will receive training in contemporary dance conceived and created solely by Jason Winters with influences from ballet, jazz, modern, yoga, and pilates, all contributing to the creation of the most well rounded and athletic young dancer.
Performance arts training: What Young Performers cover